What Precautions should I take for My Baby against Allergens?
Following are some of the ways which may help you in protecting your baby from common allergies:
Dust mites are almost everywhere, in fabrics, in carpets, and in all rooms of a house. However, the most common place where children may come in their contact is the bedroom, since pillows and mattresses house these dust mites in huge numbers.
You may have to work hard but the following steps will be quite helpful. Virant says, “By following these steps, parents can expect to control their child’s allergies by 60 to 70 percent. And this surely will reduce the dose of medicines required for the problem.”
Some allergy supply stores sell impenetrable covers that are made with stiffly woven material to encase the baby’s mattress. Opposite to vinyl covers, these covers do not wrinkle and make a breathable barrier for the child.
• As far as possible, use only blankets instead of fluffy comforters, since these collect more dust.
• To kill the dust mites, it is necessary to wash the bedding at least once a week.
• Before washing the bedding, remember to make sure that the water is hot enough (up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit) and also warn other members of the family that the water will be hotter than usual.
• Later, turn the water heater again to the normal temperature (about 120 to 125 degrees), so any member of the family would not scald himself by washing his hands or taking a bath in the same water.
To avoid your baby’s contact with dust mites, don’t keep any stuffed animals in his room; these attract dust mites. Wash your baby’s favorite ones in hot water once a week or put them in the freezer to kill them with overnight frost.
Dusting and vacuum cleaning is a must every week or on alternate weeks in the absence of your baby. While cleaning the room, the residual dust particles stir up in the air and to avoid this, wet cleaning with a mop is a better option.
The HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arresting) facility in some vacuum cleaners help in arresting even the microscopic dust particles which ordinary vacuum cleaners cannot, so it is better to invest your money in an HEPA vacuum cleaner and be sure to use a mothercare voucher code to save some money.
In cases when the child has severe dust allergy, replace the carpet with a smooth vinyl or hardwood flooring.
In seasons when the air conditioners or furnaces are in use, their monthly cleaning is a must. The heating ducts need to be kept dirt-free so get them cleaned every year.
• Animal pollen also causes allergy and if your baby is facing the same problem, then the best solution is to keep your pet away from the baby.
• One can understand that it is not an easy decision to take and you may also consider it as the last option.
• It is very important to wash your pet frequently to stay away from dander. In every pet store, you can get shampoos which help in reducing the dander. Make sure that your pet does not sit on the sofa and also don’t allow it to enter your child’s room.
Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier in a warm and wet weather, especially in the basement and other areas of the house where it is wet and is a reason for the growth of molds.
Mostly, bathrooms are factories where molds are produced in bulk. So many disinfectants are available in the market, like bleach etc. which can be removed with water or with oil of a tea tree and are also natural. Spend some money for better ventilation.
Molds can also be found in attics, closets, planters, shower stalls, cellars, refrigerators, under the carpet, and garbage cans. They can be found even in an artificial Christmas tree.
Can Medications be used to Help my Baby?
Yes, but don’t just give any random medicine available in the market for allergies. First consult your doctor.
After a thorough check up, he may prescribe some antihistamines to control the allergy. The latest medicines introduced for allergies cause fewer side-effects than the other products in the market. However, doctors do not approve these medicines for babies who are less than six months of age.
How can My Baby be protected from an Allergy in the First Place?
Lots of parents get confused because of conflicting information about allergies such as which precautions should be taken to prevent or delay allergies by postponing them. If the child is exposed to the potential allergens, then it will mean acceleration of the allergy.
Virant says, “In future, scientists will be able to find out the genetics which will indicate in advance about the allergen the child is going to react to and its preventions. However, at present, no one can predict anything about what will really help.”
The fact is that if you or your partner is allergic to dander, then you will definitely not like having any pet in your house.
The best way to avoid allergies is to keep your home, particularly your child’s room, very clean and free from dust mites and mold, irrespective of the fact whether or not your child is having an allergy.